McHale & Co. Solicitors Blog

Hear Me Out

Industrial Deafness is caused by damage to the hair cells in the cochlea (inner ear) which affects how we hear certain frequencies. The hair cells are damaged through exposure to excessive levels of noise. There are a number of different types of hearing loss that can be attributed to the work place ranging from tinnitus to acoustic shock, all of which are permanent conditions.

If you worked in a noisy industry for many years and you have hearing difficulties then you may be eligible for making a claim for compensation. At present, there is no treatment for noise damage or tinnitus. The only remedies available are hearing aids and tinnitus therapy.

Typical industries include foundry workers, road workers, workers in the textile industry including weavers, steel workers, tunnel miners, construction workers, shipbuilders, miners, quarry workers, engineers and factory workers.

We can even make a claim against an employer who is no longer trading so it does not matter if the company has gone out of business.


What are the symptoms?

Typical symptoms of noise induced hearing loss include:

Having to turn the TV/Radio up

Family members telling you that you are shouting

Ringing/Buzzing/Whistling in your ears

Struggling with conversations when there is background noise

Difficulties using the telephone

Missing the doorbell

Having to rely on lip-reading to communicate

Difficulties hearing certain frequencies

It is important that you speak to a Solicitor straight away if you think you may have noise induced hearing loss as you only have three years to bring a claim from the date you become aware of the symptoms, what has caused those symptoms and who has caused the symptoms.


The law

Noise induced hearing loss is preventable. The Noise at Work regulations were designed to ensure that employees are adequately protected from damaging noise levels. For a number of years now employers have had the knowledge that their employees needed protecting from harmful levels of noise and yet in many cases employers failed to implement any safety measures such as enforcing the wearing of hearing protection or reducing noise levels wherever possible. This is a clear breach of the regulations.


How much compensation am I likely to receive?

The value of your claim will depend on how much damage has been done to your hearing and whether or not you are suffering with tinnitus, both of which can be determined by an Ear, Nose and Throat Consultant. Some people are generally more susceptible to noise than others.


How McHale & Co Solicitors can help

McHale & Co have a dedicated and professional personal injury department that is committed to providing excellent service whilst maximising your compensation. We have offices in Altrincham, Manchester, London and Heywood. We are also situated close to excellent national travel networks, and are therefore more than happy to have clients from across the UK. We are always happy to meet you directly, at a time and location convenient to you.

To see whether you have a claim for noise induced hearing loss, contact one of our industrial disease specialists at McHale & Co Solicitors on 0161 928 3848. Our Industrial Disease claims can run on a "no win, no fee" basis. Choose us and you can rest assured we will do all we can to secure you the right result.

Categories: Personal Injury

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

(Your email will not be publicly displayed.)

Read Next Blog Post