Our Education Law team specialises in helping schools convert to Academy status under the Academies Act 2010.
We bring together expertise from our, Employment team, Commercial team and Conveyancing team to provide advice to schools need when converting to Academy status and to provide ongoing advice once the school’s status has changed.
When converting to an Academy, the Governing Body will need advice on a number of areas including – finance; human resources, property and legal advice. McHale & Co and its partners offer a full and comprehensive transfer solution, working with you every step of the way, giving help and advice, from start to finish.
To become an Academy School, we can help you every step of the way, including the following areas:
- Understand the new Academy framework and documents required by the Department of Education and Secretary of State, the timeline involved and your new obligation.
- Set up a Charitable Trust – setting up your Academy will include the drafting of the Memorandum and Articles to govern the charitable company which will own & manage the school and the transfer of the school’s assets and staff (the Transfer Agreement) to that new legal entity
- Assign your existing supplier contracts (usually detailed in the Transfer Agreement) and help create or negotiate, if necessary, new business contracts with them
- Transfer insurance, and software licenses, update website disclaimers and identify ownership of intellectual property rights
- Create new land and property contracts and transfer deeds, leases and secure land use and ownership to the Trust
- Manage the process of transferring all employees in accordance with the Transfer of
- Undertakings Regulations (TUPE) and other employment law issues
- Work out the priorities for the transfer – to include project-managing the process
- Calculate the budget and funding requirements including your professional fees
- Consider the Funding Agreement (including the annexes and exclusions and advise on options) whether primary, secondary, special or boarding school and establish the new Academy bank account
- Provide guidance and training for new employees and Governors and/or Trustees in understanding the requirements of their new roles and the Academy’s obligations.
The Department for Education also has provided a lot of information for schools about the Academy Conversion process on its website, which can be accessed by clicking on the following link http://www.education.gov.uk/academies
Get in touch
If you would like to find out more about our Academy Conversion services, do not hesitate to get in touch. Although based in Greater Manchester, we can provide high-quality legal assistance to those who need it around the UK. Call us today on 0161 928 3848, or fill in the online contact form.