What's the Difference between a Survey and a Valuation?

We get asked many times what the difference is between a survey and a valuation.

Before buying a property, it’s a good idea to get a professional to carry out an inspection. Their inspection (often called a ‘survey’) can tell you if there are:

  • problems with the property’s structure
  • repairs or alterations that need to be made 
  • risks associated with the property

If your property survey uncovers any of these problems, you can consider things like whether to:

  • buy the property
  • negotiate a new price with the seller
  • ask the seller to fix the problems before you buy 

There’s also benefit in getting a survey before you sell, to alert you to any issues that might affect the sale of the property.

A property survey should be carried out by a qualified surveyor. A qualified surveyor is someone who is a member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). They will have the letters MRICS, FRICS or AssocRICS after their name.

All RICS surveyors are regulated and professional indemnity insurance is compulsory.

You can find a qualified surveyor in the telephone directory or online by using the RICS website (link)

A property survey is different to the mortgage valuation report (or ‘valuation’) carried out by your mortgage lender. A valuation checks the value of the property and whether it’s suitable for a mortgage. It is not a detailed inspection of the property’s condition.

The three different types of property survey are shown below. The one you choose depends on the amount of information and advice you need. Some detailed surveys may include a valuation. 

RICS Condition Report

This is the most basic, least expensive survey available. It’s best suited to conventional properties and newer homes that seem to be in reasonable condition and are built from common building materials.

It reports on the condition of the property only, flags up matters for your legal advisors and gives a summary of problems that need attention. It doesn’t include advice or a valuation.

It’s also suitable for sellers.

RICS HomeBuyer Report

This survey is suitable for the same property types as a condition report. It involves a more extensive visual inspection and goes into more detail. It also includes extra information, like a valuation, insurance rebuild costs and advice on repairs and maintenance.

Building survey

Formerly called a structural survey, this type of survey provides more detail than any of the other surveys. It’s recommended for older, unusual or altered properties and those in need of work, or if you have any doubts about the property’s condition. It doesn’t usually include a valuation, but the surveyor may include this as an additional service.

The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) has more information about the different surveys and how to choose the right one for you.

You may find that the property you have bought has a problem that you feel should have been discovered during the survey. If so, you should complain to the person or organisation that carried out the survey in writing.

You will be required to pay Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) and this is payable on or before completion of the purchase. For more information please see the HMRC website

Related Case Studies

May 23rd
Our Conveyancing team completes on a transaction in Sale involving two sales valued at just under £1,000,000. “Thank you so much Nicola and Natalie for all your effort and support over the last 6 months and especially yesterday. You have been amazing, pu…
May 12th
Our Commercial Property Team recently successfully completed the purchase of a large industrial site in North Manchester on behalf of a local Civil Engineering firm. The team were presented with various challenges throughout the transaction, from timescal…