Divorce is one of the most stressful life events any person can go through. It also has the potential to be expensive. Accurate and effective legal advice is imperative.
Ideally something none of us wish to go through, the faster and more efficiently a divorce is dealt with, the better for those involved.
Divorce is a relatively straightforward legal procedure and provided there are no unforeseen circumstances, four and six months is the average timescale for completion.
There is one ground for divorce and this is that the marriage has irretrievably broken down.
A court cannot hold that a marriage has irretrievably broken down unless the person issuing the divorce proceedings can satisfy the court of one or more of the five facts, which are set out in the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973:
- The respondent (the other party) has committed adultery and the petitioner finds it intolerable to live with him or her;
- The respondent has behaved in such a way that the petitioner cannot reasonably be expected to live with him or her;
- The respondent has deserted the petitioner for a continuous period of at least two years immediately preceding the presentation of the petition;
- Both parties to the marriage have lived apart for a continuous period of at least two years immediately preceding the presentation of the petition and the respondent consents to a decree being granted;
- Both parties to the marriage have lived apart for a continuous period of at least five years immediately preceding the presentation of the petition.
When it comes to divorce, our aim is to get things moving as quickly as possible and to keep stress to a minimum. Importantly, we believe in operating in the most cost effective way possible, whilst providing a personal and high quality service.
If you would like information about our fixed fees please click here.
Victoria Richardson, our family law specialist, is a Solicitor with a vast experience of divorce cases. She can be contacted on 0161 928 3848.
Get in touch
If you would like to know more about how our tailored services can best suit your needs, do not hesitate to get in touch. Although based in Greater Manchester, we can provide high-quality legal assistance to those who need it around the UK. Call us today on 0161 928 3848, or fill in the online contact form.