Our fees cover all of the work required to complete the purchase of your new home including dealing with registration at the Land Registry and dealing with the payment of Stamp Duty Land Tax (Stamp Duty ) if the property is in England or Land Transaction Tax (Land Tax) if the property is in Wales.
How long will my house purchase take?
How long it will take from your offer being accepted until you can move in to your house will depend on a number of factors. The average process takes between 8 – 10 weeks.
It can be quicker or slower, depending on the parties in the chain. For example, if you are a first time buyer, purchasing a freehold property with a mortgage in principle, it could take 10 weeks. However, if you are buying a leasehold property that requires an extension of the lease, this can take significantly longer, between 4 – 5 months or more. In such a situation additional charges would apply.
Stages of the process
The precise stages involved in the purchase of a residential property vary according to the circumstances. However, below we have listed the key stages:-
- Take your instructions and give you initial advice
- Send out our client care pack to you.
- Check finances are in place to fund the purchase
- Receive and advise on contract documents.
- Carry out searches.
- Raise enquiries with the sellers solicitors and request any missing documentation, for example, planning permissions.
- Review any management pack should the property by an apartment or subject to a service charge payment.
- Make enquiries of a land lord should the property be leasehold and a ground rent payable
- Give you advice on all documents and information received
- Go through conditions of your mortgage offer and report to you.
- Send final contract out to you for signature.
- Draft a Transfer deed
- Advise you on joint ownership
- Agree a completion date.
- Obtain your deposit funds
- Exchange contracts and notify you this has happened.
- Obtain pre completion searches
- Prepare an invoice and completion statement .
- Arrange for all monies needed to be received from the lender and you.
- Complete the purchase
- Deal with payment of stamp duty/land tax
- Deal with application for registration at the Land Registry
Get in touch
If you would like to know more about how our tailored services can best suit your needs, do not hesitate to get in touch. Although based in Greater Manchester, we can provide high-quality legal assistance to those who need it around the UK. Call us today on 0161 929 3086, or fill in the online contact form.